Monday, October 28, 2013

CHEMO DAY 16 OF 20

I cannot tell you how happy we are this is the last week of Dave's intensive treatment!  He's hooked up now, and although I wrote less than 24 hrs ago, I thought I would let everyone know things are stable.  His weight is the same as last Monday (down 9 pounds), his white blood cell count, though lower than it should be, has not changed, the rash on his chest is clearing up and the one on his face is almost gone, his shoulder is no longer hurting, and he's controlling his headaches by staying hydrated.  The worse part is the fatigue.  Today he was a little winded walking up the slight incline from the parking lot to the front door of the Anderson Cancer Institute (there is valet parking, but we have not needed to use it).  This, in a guy who walked 1000 miles from PA to ME, through the White and Appalachian Mountains, climbing Mt. Katahdin at the end, just two years ago.

Our dear friend Kathy made us a fantastic cream of chicken soup, full of veggies and of course chicken.  Her hubby Dirke made the delivery, including a nice baguette.  Thank you! We were pooped last night, and it was the perfect meal.  Dave was in bed at 7:15, and I was not far behind.  He fell asleep right away, but I watched 3 episodes of Breaking Bad.  I needed a mental break from thinking about melanoma, but 2.5 hrs of watching meth madness wasn't good for my dreams!  Well, duh.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are ready to have this week and this regimen over and done. It looks as though he will be beating the odds and making it through. I can so relate with the tiredness. It took me a while to spring back. What are the anticipated side of effects, if any, from the shots. I hope they are minimal.
    I think of you often.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Cindy, I'm happy that you are happy! There was a lot of good news in your update. Glad that Dave is getting relief from some of the side-effects that have been bothering him. I know you anticipated extreme fatigue, but no doubt it is unnerving to actually experience it. Compared to other people I know who have been through similar treatment regimens, Dave is doing EXTREMELY well. The 1,000 mile hike must have made him very strong. Only three more days to go...hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Dave that please, please I would like to sign up to lose the next 9 pounds.

    ReplyDelete