Friday, September 27, 2013

WE HAVE A PLAN

We met with our Savannah oncologist today.  I'm going to call him Dr. S (for Savannah) from now on. The only reason I hesitate to give his real name is because if I don't accurately describe what he tells us or if I don't precisely describe his treatment plan, I do not want you to question his ability.  I may get things wrong or simplify too much, and that is my error.

Back to the visit.  We told him what our MD Anderson doctors recommended - the 'standard of care' adjuvant therapy - which was what he also recommended.  Dr. S also told us radiation was an option, and MD Anderson told us surgery was an option, but Dave has decided to go with the interferon therapy.  He is ready to get started and hoped he could be in the chair on Monday, but Dr. S said there were a few things that had to be done first.

One, we have to be sure all the insurance plans are notified and are in place.  This should be no problem with Medicare and Dave's very good supplemental BC/BS plan he was required to purchase when he decided to stay on TVA's plan so I could be covered.  Whew.  (He has quit complaining about the expense of the supplemental after seeing the first round of EOBs.)

Two, he has to speak with a Nurse Educator about the process, the medications, the administration, etc. His appointment with the nurse is next Friday. He will also get a vein pick in his left arm (his tumor was in his right arm) so the nurses don't have to find veins to inject the IV every day.

Third, they had to draw blood for baseline data, so they can watch, in particular, his liver function and blood cell counts.  Dave asked if that could be done today, so after talking to Dr. S, he had his blood drawn.

Assuming the other two items get done next week, Dave will start his therapy on Monday 10/7.  He will have infusions 5 days a week for 4 weeks at a high dosage level.

I asked Dr. S if Dave can take benedryl (minimizes his snoring), have a cocktail, and get a flu shot.  He said, Yes, yes and yes.  From what I read on the internet, I was surprised he is allowed to have alcohol.  Dr. S said 1/day is okay, although Dave may lose his taste for it.

I asked about anti-depressants, and as I said to Dr. S, Dave has never exhibited depression, but I've read it is a very common side effect.  Dr. S said anti-depressants are a routine part of the treatment, as is anti-nausea medication.

It was an educational and motivational meeting, and now we'll have to cool our jets for another week.  It gives Dave time to get in more kayaking, swimming, loading up his iPod with books to listen to, etc. etc.  It will be a busy week!

1 comment: